Friday, April 14, 2017

My "Why" for Choosing OT as a Profession

Many people choose careers based on their past experiences, or someone important in their life has influenced them to go down a certain career path, such as a parent, teacher, or other mentor. I have had several people in my life that have played a role in my choice to pursue occupational therapy. These people are my "why".

Why did I choose occupational therapy over physical therapy? That was the plan whenever I started my undergraduate career in 2011. I didn't even know what occupational therapy was until the spring of 2012 when I visited my grandmother in NHC in Franklin, Tennessee. Her OT was working with her on the arm bike, encouraging her, and giving her guidance and confidence, while remaining patient with her. She treated my grandmother like she was her own. Her passion for helping others and kind nature influenced me so much that I went home that day to research the field of occupational therapy. That initial encounter sparked a fire in me that would change my life forever.

Over the course of my undergraduate career, I took prerequisite classes that would help me get into occupational therapy school, such as medical terminology, kinesiology, lifespan development, as well as the exercise science classes I took for my major. It wasn't until I did my internship in a pediatric OT clinic my last semester of college that I truly fell in love with the profession. I encountered several children at that clinic that left a lasting impact on me. I will never forget their smiling faces, drive, and motivation to be better. I was able to experience first-hand how a little girl conquered her fear of balls, and dolls with faces. I worked with another little girl with sensory processing who was frightened by loud noises and the dark. It was an honor to be able to work with them. Another little girl, probably one of my favorite clients, overcame many challenges during her time in speech, OT, and PT after recovering from a stroke at age 4, and 2 brain surgeries before the age of 5. One little boy that stood out to me was a stroke survivor, and wasn't able to talk or walk by himself. During my internship, I watched this 3-year-old little boy how to walk again. How amazing is that?

I don't want to go into this field for the money. I would honestly do it for free, just because I love it so much and I love the way I feel by getting to help another person reach their goals and maximize their potential. I could go on and on about the numerous interactions I've had with people over the years, but this gives you a little glimpse into my life and why I am so passionate about this rewarding field.

No comments:

Post a Comment