Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Reaction to "Terrible, Thanks for Asking" Podcast

Listening to this podcast just broke my heart. This lady was a nurse, caring for her own patient, when she was assaulted and subsequently hit her head. I could not imagine how she must have felt after the attack and what kinds of things were running through her mind, or if she could even remember. I do know she said it was all a blur and she doesn't remember much of that day. It's difficult to say how I would feel or what I would do if I were in that situation, or if I was a caretaker for someone who suffered from a traumatic brain injury.

I could not imagine having a husband and the responsibilities of raising children while continuing to recover from that type of injury. I know that marriage is "for better or for worse" and "in sickness and in health", but you don't really think about a traumatic brain injury being something that you sign up for when you say "I do" to your spouse. It made me sad when she and her husband talked about going their separate ways and that she would try to make it on her own. She alluded to letting him be on his own and not having that burden of always having to keep up with what she is doing. In his own words, he said it was like having another child. Although I don't think I would ever separate from my husband if I were in this situation, I could see where it would take a toll on the marriage and the family dynamic. Honestly, I don't blame them for discussing separation and divorce. However, I am grateful that they are going through this together and that she has a strong support system at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment