Thursday, April 20, 2017

Neuro Note #1: My Beautiful Broken Brain

As I was searching for what to do for my first Neuro Note, I thought about watching a Netflix documentary. I love watching Netflix, and thought it would be a great opportunity to learn about strokes. The documentary is entitled, "My Beautiful Broken Brain" and follows a 34-year-old film producer, Lotje Sodderland on her journey of recovery from her intercerebral hemorrhagic stroke. I chose this documentary because we had just talked about strokes and seizures in our Neurological Aspects class, so I thought this would enhance my learning, and really give me an idea on what someone who has a stroke has to deal with on a daily basis.

As I was watching the documentary, I took some notes on what Lotje was experiencing as far as language and speech deficits, trouble remembering how to read and write, and forgetting how to do everyday tasks. She talks about having a new heightened sense of reality, and often feels frightened because all of her formerly familiar surroundings now feel unfamiliar. Over the course of a year, Lotje tries different interventions such as inpatient rehab, medication, and even experimental non-invasive brain stimulation to regain her memory, speech, and language skills. She experiences many ups and downs along the way, and has several setbacks that would make her discouraged or lose hope.

Toward the end of the documentary, Lotje talks about how her priorities have changed, and how she only focuses on what matters to her. She goes on to say that she isn't defined by limitations, but by endless possibility. The biggest takeaway I got from the film was that life is going to throw you curveballs along the way, and how you react to them will ultimately determine your success. Lotje remained optimistic throughout her rehabilitation process and never gave up. The therapy process can be slow, and it can be hard to see progress sometimes. She was determined to not give up, despite the many setbacks she faced. Filming her experiences gave her a sense of purpose and meaning, and gave her a way to understand her own story.

After watching this film, I have a better understanding of the many obstacles that come with rehabilitating from a stroke, and can better sympathize with individuals who have experienced a stroke. I would highly recommend this film for anyone who wants to increase their knowledge of stroke and seizures.


Robinson, S., Sodderland, Lotje (Directors). (2016). My Beautiful Broken Brain [Documentary]. Retrieved from: https://www.netflix.com/search?q=my%20beautif&jbv=80049951&jbp=0&jbr=0

2 comments:

  1. Great neuro note! I was actually thinking about watching that documentary myself! Now you have me excited to being to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more with you when you talk about life throwing curveballs, we never know what is going to happen next, but its all about how we respond. I believe as OTs we are able to help those who cant adjust to the curveballs as well, which I love.

    ReplyDelete